This is an online fact sheet entitled “THIS IS FIRE!” This fact sheet gives information about how fire moves and what to expect if in a fire.
About Fire Safety
- ESCAPE PLANNING– this is a page from Liberty Mutual where you can download a fire hazard checklist for the home, an escape route, and a coloring book.
- Excellent online brochure from USFA on escape planning.
- Get Out Safely! Fact sheet from USFA
- Information regarding escape routes. Having an escape plan isn’t enough, it must be practiced.
HOME FIRE HAZARDS
- Information regarding gas-fired hot water heaters. This site is the CPSC information regarding reduction of injuries and death related to gas-fired hot water heaters.
- Information from the CPSC regarding dry safety and the fire hazard that dryers pose.
FIRE SAFETY AND CHILDREN
- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission sets national safety standards for children’s sleepwear flammability. This page is the guidelines laid out.
- Safety alert concerning kids sleepwear and labeling of sleepwear.
- Information from the CPSC concerning child-resistant locks on lighters.
INFORMATION ABOUT JUVENILE FIRESTARTERS
- Handout on juvenile fire starters from the USFA. It is an online brochure.
- Excellent online brochure concerning children and fire starting. Breaks down ages for fire curiosity and other reasons that children sometimes start fires. Also gives tips for caregivers and a community call to action.
- Safety tips from the CPSC for those who use turkey fryers.
- Online brochure from CPSC. General cooking safety tips to reduce the risk of kitchen fires. Little hard to read.
- CPSC document concerning electrical outlet safety.
- CPSC fact sheet concerning extension cord safety.
- CPSC documents concerning the anatomy of a home extension cord and the dangers they pose.
- CPSC home electrical hazard checklist.
- This guide describes warnings of potential hazards. Each part of the home electrical system is listed along with warning signs that may indicate current or future problems.
- A fact sheet on home electrical fire prevention.
- Tip sheet on general electrical tips in the home.
- Fire information regarding fires started by smoking tobacco either by cigarette, pipe, or cigars.
GENERAL FIRE SAFETY
- A blank list of Emergency Numbers to print out, fill out, and put some place that can be located in the event of an emergency.
- Liberty Mutual where you can download a fire hazard checklist for the home, an escape route, and a coloring book.
- Home checklist brochure from the CPSC (English)
- Home checklist brochure from the CPSC (Spanish)
- Fire safety checklist from USFA.
- Protecting your family from fire. Online brochure from USFA.
- Colorful ‘door hanger’ that has safety tips for home fire safety. Very colorful and fun.
- Fact sheet on bedroom fire safety.
- Potpourri simmering pot safety.
- Information regarding upholstered furniture.
- Information regarding night light fire hazard.
- An online fact sheet on rural fire safety and prevention. The fact sheet explains how some landscaping could help your home in event of wildfires.
- Candle Safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association.
- Bedroom fire safety tips.
- For some rural areas, fire safety/prevention becomes even more vital. This website gives consumers tips and ideas to help protect their families.
- What to do before a fire.
- What to do during a fire.
- Carbon Monoxide: The Invisible Killer. Carbon Monoxide fact sheet from USFA.
- What is Carbon Monoxide? This also givens signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
- Protecting your family from Carbon Monoxide.
- Toxic effects of Carbon Monoxide.
HOME HEATING &FIREPLACE SAFETY
- Space heater fire safety tips online brochure.
- Kerosene heater safety.
- Chimney Alert from the CPSC.
- Information regarding fire safety/prevention when using portable generators.
- How and what fire hazards to check when trying to heat your home.
SEASONAL/ HOLIDAY FIRE SAFETY
- Halloween safety.
- Winter Fires online brochure.
- Holiday Fire Prevention fact sheet
- Research findings regarding residential structure fires during the holiday season.
- Research findings regarding Christmas tree fires.
- Great time-stamped video of a Christmas tree catching fire and engulfing it’s surroundings.
- Article that gives the top tips to help prevent holiday fires.
- Holiday decorations safety tips
- Summer safety tips including tips on BBQ grills, fireworks, and camp fires.
- Fireworks injuries
- Firework safety
- Fire hazards that winter storms pose and how to reduce the risks.
- General information regarding why smoke alarms are important
- Safety tips and general information regarding keeping and using home extinguishers.
FUEL FIRE SAFETY
- Information regarding gasoline fires in the home
- Information and safety tips regarding propane and how to store propane
- Information and safety tips for pumping gas at a service station
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (Center for Disease Control and Prevention)
- National Fire Protection Agency
- United States Fire Administration
- United States Fire Administration for kids
- The Red Cross
- Illinois State Fire Marshall
AFTER THE FIRE
- What to do and what to expect the first 24 hours after a fire
- How to put a value on your property and go about restoration.
- How to restore and salvage your personal property after a fire
- After a fire your home will have damage from fire operations that you might not understand. This site gives you a general understanding concerning why the fire department needs to do some of those things.
- A general checklist of things to do after a fire strikes.
- The Red Cross